Located on Main Street in Negombo, this church is considered to be the largest cathedral in Sri Lanka. It is popularly known as the Street Church. Construction began in 1874. It was completed in 1922. The story of this church is obscured by the great effort of the French critic Pianam. It is considered by Catholics to be Negombo’s jewel.
New classical European Gothic and Baroque designs were used for its construction. It has a high roof and arches. Its marble statues, ceiling paintings and wall decorations add to the uniqueness. The ceiling is decorated with events from the life of Jesus. At the top of the wall are statues of saints. Stained glass comes in elegant patterns. The paintings here were painted by N. Shresh, a painter at the time. By the builder.